In this episode of DadPOD (#8), I get the privilege of interviewing Dr. Eric Mason and discussing his new book, Manhood Restored – How the Gospel Makes Men Whole. Dr. Mason is the pastor of Epiphany Fellowship in Philadelphia, a multi-cultural church in the heart of the city. In addition, to his role at Epiphany Fellowship he serves as President of Thriving, A ministry dedicated to aiding ethnic minorities to be resourced and trained for ministry to the urban context. Dr. Mason received his Master of Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary (ThM 2000) as well as a Doctorate degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (DMin, May 2007). I was first introduced (informally) to Eric when he was presented as a graduate of Fellowship Associates, a program affiliated with the church I attend in Little Rock, AR (Fellowship Bible Church) that prepares pastors for church planting in a rigorous one year program.
Eric is also a published author, having just released his new book, Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole. I was asked to review the book by LifeWay / B&H Publishing and wanted to have this interview with Eric (check out my written review of Manhood Restored here). He was gracious enough to come on the DadPOD and it was a very informative and enjoyable discussion. I think you will also enjoy the interview. During the interview we touch on the following topics:
- Why he wrote the book, Manhood Restored.
- Chapter 1: The Life and Death of Manhood: We discuss how Genesis reveals why we have a manhood issue and also the prescription for what Godly manhood should look like.
- Chapter 2: Daddy Deprivation: Eric tackles some pretty weighty issues as to how the problem of fatherlessness crosses racial and societal barriers and has the same destructive impact on every home that experiences it.
- Chapter 3: The Restorer of Manhood: Is there anyone throughout history that we can look to and say, that’s what a Godly man should look like? Eric answers that question and tells us that there is a model for us to follow.
- Chapter 4: Restored Worldview: How we see the world has a powerful and profound impact on how we live. We discuss how a biblical worldview differs from the other worldviews and why it’s important to understand those differences.
- Chapter 5: Restored Sexuality: Is there any more volatile but necessary topic to discuss than the permissive, nonchalant and redefining nature of our sexual culture? From pornography to gratuitous sex we live in a society that promotes sex on demand and very rarely heightens the consequences of such attitudes. For men to be restored, this is a must area to address.
- Chapter 6: Restored Vision
- Chapter 7: Restored Church
Eric also mentioned the DVD Study series that accompanies his new book. I’m excited to get it and add to my library of great men’s resources.Items and Resources (and related links) mentioned in this podcast:
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole (Book)
- Manhood Restored: Study Guide/Leaders Kit
- Epiphany Fellowship
- Fatherless America by David Blankenhorn
- Fellowship Associates
- Dallas Theological Seminary
- Dr. Tony Evans
- Dr. Wayne Grudem
- Dr. John Piper
We hope you are enjoying the DadPOD, a podcast for men. Until next DadPOD, thanks for listening.
Please share this episode by sharing a Tweet to your followers (click the Twitter logo below), posting a link to your Facebook page or Pinterest, etc.
Question or Feedback? Leave Me a Voicemail!
If you have a question you’d potentially like answered on the show, or just feedback in general (constructive criticism and praise is absolutely welcome!), feel free to leave a comment by clicking on the Send Voicemail red tab on the right of the page to quickly and easily leave me a message. I’ll feature you and your question on the show!
Thank you all for checking out this session of the DadPOD podcast, and finally, if you haven’t done so already, I would love if you took a minute to leave a quick (and honest) rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It would be extremely helpful!
Subscribe to iTunes and Make your review to help us gain recognition by clicking the button below: