In this episode of the DadPOD, I had the opportunity to interview David Murrow. David is the author of a provocative book entitled, Why Men Hate Going to Church. David has had spoken around the globe on this subject and has really hit a nerve in the church that has gotten pastors thinking about what it will take to get more men fully engaged in the local church. On the program, David shares that in those churches that are lead by Pastors who see the importance of having men engaged in the church, there is a vibrancy that doesn’t exist in most of the churches that don’t have that same male leadership and involvement. David also runs a ministry, the Church for Men. This is an interesting interview and I think you’ll enjoy it! Leave your comments below!
During this episode of the DadPOD we discuss:
- An interesting historical look at when men started to draw away from the church.
- How the very traits that make many pastors effective may also be some of the things that may keep men from engaging in the church.
- How the songs we sing and the atmosphere we create at church contributes to men’s absence and apathy toward the church at large.
- Ways that churches and church leaders can begin to get men re-engaged in church
- Why men matter to the church
- The Men’s League...Men’s League is a discipleship structure based on the very first Christian men’s group: Jesus and the twelve. Men’s League develops twelve men at first, and then expands to seventy-two. Men’s League not only delivers powerful teaching, it also gives men personal coaching and a structure that keeps them engaged.
Why Men Have Stopped Singing at Church was a blog post that David wrote more than 2 1/2 yrs ago that has gotten over 300 comments and received a significant amount of interest on the internet. Why? We discuss.
Links to Resources We Discussed on the DadPOD program:
- David Murrow’s book, Why Men Hate Going to Church
- David’s Website, Church for Men
- A Year Long Men’s discipleship structure called, Mens League
- A great presentation (now on DVD) that he’s created, Ten Ways to Man Up Your Church
- Connect with David on:
EXTENDED: CONTEST THROUGH NOVEMBER 15: As I stated on my review of the movie, Grace Unplugged, I received some movie merchandise to give away. I’ve got a couple copies of the book, Own It that you can win and a CD Soundtrack of some great music from the movie. How can you win? Just leave a comment about the movie if you saw it, what you liked, didn’t like, etc. by clicking on this title – Grace Unplugged and leave your comment about the movie.
LIKE, SHARE, COMMENT, CONNECT
We hope you are enjoying the DadPOD, a podcast for guys like us, every day men and dads. Until next DadPOD, thanks for listening. Please share this episode by sharing a Tweet to your followers (click the Twitter logo below), posting a link to your Facebook page or Pinterest, etc.
Question or Feedback? Leave Me a Voicemail!
If you have a question you’d potentially like answered on the show, or just feedback in general (constructive criticism and praise is absolutely welcome!), feel free to leave a comment by clicking on the Send Voicemail red tab on the right of the page to quickly and easily leave me a message. I’ll feature you and your question on the show! Thank you all for checking out this session of the DadPOD podcast, and finally, if you haven’t done so already,
Show Some iTunes Love
I would love if you took a minute to leave a quick (and honest) rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It would be extremely helpful! Subscribe to iTunes and Make your review to help us gain recognition by clicking the button below: